A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, April 21, 2007

4/21/2007 My first shoot with the Henry Golden Boy .17 HMR



After doing some chuck hunting early this morning I headed up to the range to make a noon appointment. It was 31F when I left this morning to hunt, and 75F, clear and sunny when I got to the range. This is the first nice weekend of the year and it really couldn't have been better, new rifle and all. I was amazed at how well the Henry .17 HMR shot right out of the box. 150 rounds without a jam, and at 50 yards, my groups were so tight that they were covered by a single target patch. I'd be interested to see a group if I could have locked down the rifle. I was shooting a bit to the right and low, which was a little more noticeable when I moved the target out to 75 yards. I simply aimed slightly to the upper left and I was hitting the bulls-eye once again.


I'm going to have to buy a small hammer to tap the rear sight to zero it in. The magnum had a bit more recoil than my 22, which made it more fun to shoot. I've become used to shooting an SKS, which fires 7.62 x 39 rounds, and I expected that the .17 cal. would feel like a toy, but it didn't. The gun is very solid and the barrel is quite a bit heavier than my H001 Henry lever action. It felt good and I'll be confident hunting with it.

EVERYONE WANTS TO SHOOT A 17HMR, SO I LET THIS GUY HAVE SOME FUN 

The guy at left photo seemed very interested and said that he had never fired a .17 cal., so I loaded the tube, called him over and told him he could shoot away if he let me take his picture for this blog. He agreed and said he enjoyed shooting it.

Cleaning the rifle was a breeze, compared to taking down and cleaning my SKS after each shoot, which takes about an hour. The next shoot I'll focus on the sight adjustment.

No comments: