A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, May 5, 2007

5/5/2007 Shot with a new friend today... Dirk Files

I had a good time at the range today. The temperature couldn't have been nicer. 70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and very dry. I received an email Thursday night from a guy named Dirk (top 2 photos) who stumbled across my SKS page. He invited me out to his range next week where they will be holding 'Camp Garand', so I invited him to my shooting spot today. We met at 10:30 and spent a couple of hours shooting and talking. Dirk had been in the military and was stationed in Korea, so we exchanged some old military stories. While we were there, Dirk purchased one of my SKS's which he adds to his growing collection.

Pastor Dan (the gentleman in red) shooting to my right is a regular at the range, and he's also into rimfires. The three of us got into some interesting conversations, and Dirk shot my Henry (his first time shooting a 17HMR).

I was able to get my iron sights sighted in with the help of a small brass hammer I picked up on eBay this week. I'm looking forward to getting a coyote in those sights as soon as turkey season is over.



9/9/07 UPDATE Dirk bought my remaining SKS and accessories. I'm rolling that money into a Ruger
10/22 for coyote hunting. Thanks Dirk, and have a blast with those SKSs. They are great rifles.