A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday's Hunt




I returned to the woods this morning and at 6am there was a rabbit in the parking lot caught in my headlights. It hopped off and that was the last rabbit I saw today. About an hour after I started my hunt, I saw a squirrel and I plugged it with one shot at about 50 yards. After that I saw 5 more squirrels, but they were far away and scrambling through the branches. Even when I tried to wait them out, they didn't return. I think the problem was the abnormal heat. It's October 22 and in the 80's! That's unheard of. I doubt squirrels are gathering nuts for winter when the think it's the middle of summer. I'll try again tomorrow. For you bird hunters, they stocked at 1:00 and a lot of guys were walking to their trucks with birds.

I met two brothers who were bird hunting together. They asked me about my Henry 17HMR, and they seemed really excited about the rifle and that I was squirrel hunting. I told them that most of the guys I came across couldn't figure out why I wasn't hunting birds. These guys were squirrel and coyote hunters. The brother 'Bob' joined the Army the same year I joined the Navy, so we had a lot in common and walked and talked about guns and hunting for about 45 minutes. They used to have a business selling automatic weapons when that was legal. When the laws were changed, they started selling military sniper rifles. It was a very interesting discussion, and that's the kind of thing that really makes hunting fun. It's not just about harvesting animals. It's experiencing nature and the people we meet along the way. I'll be out again tomorrow.

No comments: