A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Friday, July 25, 2008

Another chuck and a turkey attack


After a sweltering hot week and a couple days of rain, there was finally a slight break in the weather today. Having expected this to happen, I brought my hunting gear to work and at 3:30 punched the clock, changed into my camos and headed for the woods.

The hunt began slow, though I saw a few rabbits. No sign of squirrels. I know I can't hunt them, but it's nice to know that they are there for the upcoming season. As I pushed through the field, I came across a group of tiny birds that were wandering around. They were little tiny turkeys, and as I got closer, some began pealing off into the higher grass. Some didn't appear to be as healthy, and they didn't budge. I was thinking about taking some pictures to show my wife but my camera was in my backpack and I didn't feel like taking it off. I continued pass them, when guess who comes out and stands in my path? Big Mamma Turkey! I immediately stopped and began walking backward. I passed the chicks and the protective mother decided that I needed to be chased off. I quickened my pace, but so did the bird. All of a sudden it broke into a run, flapping its wings. Realizing that it was simply protecting its young, I yelled at it to stop but it kept coming. Finally when it was just a few steps in front of me I cocked my 17 and fired a shot in its direction (not at it). Immediately the turkey went 'exit, stage left!' and did and airborne 180 with feathers coming off in all directions. It flew high into a tree and was gone.

"I yelled at it to stop but it kept coming. Finally when it was just a few steps in front of me I cocked my 17 and fired a shot in its direction..."

I soon met up with a guy who was taking his lab for a walk. It was obvious that the dog wasn't real happy to see me so I stretched out my hand for her to smell. The owner told me that his dog couldn't see my face so she didn't know what to make of me. I lifted the netting, stretched out my hand and the dog calmed down. One animal attack is enough for any day. 

It was getting late so I decided to head back to the car. On the return trip I spotted a dark shape about 50 yards out that resembled a stump or bag. I was loosing light so it was impossible to make out what it was. I stopped and watched it, waiting for some sign of movement. It didn't move so I didn't shoot. If I can't identify my target, I hold my fire. I continued to wait for any type of movement... when all of a sudden the shape broke into a run. Damn! It was a chuck and I blew the perfect opportunity for a shot! I refused to go home empty handed, so I decided to wait the chuck out. Within a few minutes the guy and the dog returned and walked right by both of us. "Hang it up for the day" I thought. "This thing must be dug in for the night". It was now 7:00 and the sun was setting quickly. I decided to wait it out for the last half hour before sunset. Everything was wet so I took a spot standing behind a tree. 15 minutes later another smaller chuck appeared from the opposite direction of the first. I could see its head through the dense brush, so I took aim at it and fired. I can't believe the amount of damage a tiny 17 cal. hollow point can dish out! The chuck rolled over. Don't believe guys who tell you that a 17 can be deflected by a blade of grass! I didn't realize it was a head shot, but it was still moving so I decided to quickly finish it off. I've made it my policy to immediately take a second shot rather than to let the animal crawl off wounded. I lost too many squirrels like that last season. When its body was visible, I took aim and fired again. This time all movement stopped. When I examined the chuck, the first shot went through its head and the second amazingly just about gutted it. I can't believe the amount of damage a tiny 17 cal. hollow point can dish out!

I left the chuck right where it was and I'll check back Saturday to see there is any evidence that a coyote or a hawk picked it up. I'm sure it won't be there by morning. That's 2 chucks down and Saturday I'm going back for that running tree stump.

GUN: Henry 17HMR Golden Boy AMMO: CCI TNT 17HMR



No comments: