A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, September 20, 2008

LIMIT!


Today was a beautiful, cool, crisp morning with temperatures starting in the low 40's with a high of 70F. It was my goal today to finally harvest my limit, which is 8 per day. To accomplish this I left a bit earlier and didn't allow myself to get sidetracked. Instead, I went directly to the spot that I had previously scoped out and took a seat while things woke up. It started a bit slow because instead of sun breaking through the trees, it was overcast and foggy. I've found that squirrels like that bright morning sun breaking through the branches. It gets them up and moving and most of their work on the ground is done by about 10am. So my window of opportunity is about 3 hours (7-10). After that it's always slim pick'ns.

Note that I had misfire problems again*, with 4 out of 12 rounds misfiring. Considering that 3 were in a row, it had to be a gun issue and not the ammo. It could be that because I'm trying to be quiet I'm not cycling the lever hard enough to seat it correctly in the chamber. At least today the misfires didn't cause me to loose a squirrel because I dropped them both on the follow-up shot. Other than that the rifle was shooting great and not counting the misfires, it took 8 rounds to bag 8 squirrels with many of the shots being head shots. I called it a day at 11am when I bagged my limit. That was a nice feeling after being on so many lousy hunts last season.

Season Total (9/1 - 20/08): 22
Firearm: Henry Varmint Express 17HMR Ammo: CCI TNT Hollow Point

* I believe I found the reason for the misfires. Over-oiling. I'm a gun cleaning fanatic, which I must have picked up in the military. I still think cleaning is important, but when you oil the receiver, be sure to wipe out any excess and just leave a light film. 



No comments: