A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, October 20, 2008

Never Prematurely Unload Your Firearm

I like the idea of increasing the challenge so I started hunting with the 17HMR revolver. Problems do arise when game sightings are rare as they were for me today and you'd really like to bag the few game animals that you see. That's why half way through the day I went home and swapped my 10/22 for the scoped handgun.

Nothing was moving today and I was just about to hang it up for the day. On the final stretch to the parking area I passed through a heavily hunted area where I rarely see squirrels. That's why I was so surprised to see a big, fat squirrel with a beautiful white tail running from me on the ground about 40 yards away. I will usually wait until it stops for a moment to take my shot but I wasn't about to let this one get away. I quickly pulled the hammer, got my cross hairs on it and squeezed off a round. It rolled over! Nice shot if I say so myself. I guess the moral of that story is never to give up and prematurely unload your firearm. I learned that lesson over the summer when unloading my 10/22 cost me a woodchuck.


No comments: