A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, March 30, 2009

Reloading: 50 yard test

My objective today was to find the best load for my Henry BigBoy 44 magnum rifle at 50 yards. I brought 150 rounds that I hand loaded and ended up firing 94. All the ammo fired nicely, though I did have a problem with some of the rounds not feeding properly. It appears that I need to seat the bullet a bit deeper next time, and Bill says he has a gauge I can have to measure the cartridge length. I shot six rounds of a specific load at each target and kept a record of which load was used on which target. The target frame was set up 50 yards out. I originally started at 100 yards, but the target was so small that I felt lucky just to hit it, never mind comparing groups. 100 yards is too long to test this rifle with iron sights using small targets. Next time I plan to bring a 200 yard target to make it easier to see what I'm shooting at. Bifocals are a major pain when aiming at a small, distant target. Either I mount a scope or get a bigger target. Since most coyote hunting in CT is up close and personal, I'm keeping the iron sights. I wish I could have locked the rifle down to take myself out of the loop, but since that's not possible today, at least the equation is skewed equally for each load.

I was amazed to discover that the lightest bullet (200 gr Speer) gave me the lousiest groups, and the heaviest bullet, the Hornady 265 gr gave me the best. I never expected these results. I know I loaded the 265 cartridge light, so I'm hoping that if I load it just a bit more, it will bring the bullet right in consistently. The final target with the 200 gr Hornady seems to have great potential, but I just about ran out of rounds before starting the test. I was just having fun blast'n when I realized I'd better stop and do some testing... a little too late. I'll load more for next time. Target 5 wasn't bad either. Note that the best results were all achieved with Accurate #9.


TOP ROW, left to right: • Target 1 - Powder: Allient 2400 / Amount: 21.4 gr. / Bullet: Speer 200 gr. • Target 2 - Powder: Accurate #9 / Amount: 1.3cc / Bullet: 265 gr Hornady • Target 3 - Powder: Accurate #9 / Amount: 1.3 cc / Bullet: 200 gr Hornady

BOTTOM ROW, left to right: • Target 4 - Powder: Winchester 296 / Amount: 1.3 cc / Bullet: 200 gr Hornady • Target 5 - Powder: Accurate #9 / Amount: 1.0 cc / Bullet: 265 gr Hornady • Target 6 - Powder: Accurate #9 / Amount: 1.3 cc / Bullet: 200 gr Hornady*. *only 2 rounds fired at target I just noticed something: How come Target 2 used 1.3cc of Accurate #9 and Target 5 only used 1cc? Target 5 was consistently higher! How could .3cc less powder cause the shot to hit higher? How is that possible?

Next time out I take this load: (Powder: Accurate #9 / Amount: 1.3cc / Bullet: 265 gr Hornady) and make sure my cartridge length is correct so the rounds are not under pressured.



No comments: