A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Friday, April 3, 2009

RELOADING: Developing a new load

I worked a lot of hours today and I'm stuck working tomorrow (on my hunting day!), so I at least wanted to accomplish something at home before heading out to work again in the morning. I decided to weigh out a load tonight so the next time I get some free time I can set up about 50 rounds.

I started by deciding on which load I wanted to shoot for. I had my best groups using Accurate #9 with 265 grain Hornady bullets, so I thought I'd start with that but make them slightly hotter this time to raise the shot a few inches at 50 yards. This gets a bit confusing.

First, let me suggest that you purchase a digital scale if you can afford one. I'm using a beam scale and it takes a long time to settle down and my results are a bit inconsistent. I decided to weigh out Accurate #9 in various scoops. Here's my results: • 1.6cc scoop 25 gr • 1.3cc scoop 19.7 gr • .5cc + .7cc scoops 17.8 gr • 1.0 cc scoop 15.4 gr • 0.7cc scoop 10.5 gr • 0.5cc scoop: 7.31 gr • 0.3cc scoop: 4.42 gr Minimum load is 14.8 gr (1200 FPS). Maximum load is 22.1 (1700 FPS). The middle ground is 17.7 (1400 FPS)

Last week I loaded using the 1.3cc scoop which should bring me a bit above 1500 FPS. That's a bit hot but should still be safe. I'm wondering if I was hitting low due to my cartridges being too long? That would reduce pressures, but enough to drop the bullet a few inches? I don't know. Next time I load I'll keep the same load as last time and size each round to be sure the length is correct and consistent. I'll let you know how that works out.

I'll continue to stress what I have throughout this blog, weigh your own powder (don't trust my numbers) and check them against a good reloading book. I just ordered the latest Hornady book from Amazon for about $28. That almost $10 less than from the gunshops and shipping is free. It's a good and necessary investment.



No comments: