A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shooting the NAA Mini-Master. Report from the Range.


Saturday turned out to be a very relaxing morning at the range. I find it interesting that there appears to be a far lesser number of center-fire guns at the range, which I'm sure has to do with the increase in ammo prices and the decrease in availability. That means that the range is much quieter than it was last year when it seemed that just about everyone was shooting an AR or some kind of black rifle. Like myself, many have broken out their rimfire rifles and handguns to have fun at an affordable price.

My focus today was on the two handguns I shot last weekend as well as my Henry 17HMR. I loaded up the Henry, fired 10 shots and retired the rifle to its case. It was dead on. No need to do any work on that lever rifle. My 38 with new Crimson Trace Laser Grips installed was shooting great as well, so the wheelgun was put off to the side. Like other center-fire ammo, 38 Special isn't cheap, so I limited my shooting to one 50 round box. Next I brought out the Mini-Master.

This little revolver is more fun to shoot than any handgun that I own and the ammo is still very inexpensive. Last weekend I began sighting in the Mini using the 22 magnum cylinder. Today I switched to the LR option, and brought out all kinds of ammo to play with. One nice feature of the 22 (non-magnum) caliber is the large array of ammo that's available for it. I shot my standard hunting hollow points, hypersonic, subsonic, shorts and more. Everything shot great without a single misfire. That's unheard of with my 17HMR single six where misfires are often commonplace.

Last weekend I shot with the larger stock rubber grip, but after seeing how controllable the gun was I switched over to the more beautiful and smaller rosewood set. Control seemed identical so these are the grips I'm staying with. They make the gun smaller and easier to conceal, as well as making it easier to slide out of the pocket.

I did a bit more playing around with the rear sight adjustments as well, putting a small wooden dowel against the sight and hammering it about a sixteenth of an inch to the right. This time I was smart and brought my LaserLyte green laser which can be easily seen in daylight. That sped up the process considerably as well as saving ammo and targets. I ended up shooting at least 100 rounds and I was still able to touch the barrel. I really like the massive stainless steel barrel on this little gun. "Massive" in relation to the gun's small size that is. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the gun's controllability, accuracy, and the fact that it stayed on target even after heating up. My 17HMR Ruger SingleSix is only good for 6 rounds before it gets off target.

The North American Arms Mini-Master is one heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I could easily see myself building a collection of these guns, which could easily be stored in a shoe box. The June 2009 issue of Blue Press did a good write-up on page 20-21 on the NAA "Pug" Mini- Revolver. Now that would be a fun gun to own as well. It's funny that no matter what I write about this gun, the story always ends with which Mini I should buy next. That's a good thing.

 
The 22 LR cylinder. Notice how solid this stainless steel handgun is. I was very surprised that after shooting 50 rounds the barrel wasn't very hot. I'm sure that has something to do with the barrel thickness.

The 38 S&W snubby looks big and heavy next to the Mini-Master!

 Doing it right. Using a LaserLyte Bore Laser to get the Mini-Master on paper. Check out the green laser, which was highly visible on my target at noon.



No comments: