A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

2009 Birthday Hunt

I wasn't going to bother putting up a post on this hunt, but my buddy Mike Adams from Up North Journal wished me a Happy Birthday and asked me how I made out this morning. Since I already wrote this to him, I'll post it for you so I can be even more humiliated.

I walked 4 miles with my backpack on and 17HMR in hand, and only saw the ass end of one chuck for about 2 seconds as I rounded a corner. On my final pass I was really dragging and told myself that I was likely too tired to hit anything. At that point I began 'walking' back to the car instead of 'hunting' (if you know what I mean). Then Murphy's Law kicked in. I spotted a big chuck digging around in the dirt about 50 yards out. It didn't see me (which is very unusual), but kept its head down with its attention on something else. This rarely happens! I've missed too many by taking the time to get into a proper shooting position because they sense my movement and in seconds are in the brush. With that in mind I rushed the shot, shooting from a standing position without support. Being tired I was all over the place. I missed, but it STILL didn't see me! It was looking around but couldn't locate the direction of the sound. It then began running directly towards me. I fired and missed again, just before it disappeared into the brush. Oh well. It was no surprise. The shot was too long and I was too tired. I've seen a chuck in this area before, so I'll be looking for a den next time out. At least after all that walking I had a little action. Now I'm home and going to hang out at the Air Museum for the rest of the afternoon until the family gets home. Having a good birthday not working!

...I skipped the museum and returned after the thunderstorm... and bagged two!!




No comments: