A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bagged my first chuck with the Single Six revolver



All I can say is that it's hot as heck this morning. It's 93 and as humid as it gets. Even after being covered head to toe with 40 DEET bug spray, stopping 10 seconds means being covered with hundreds of bugs and mosquitoes. I knew this was going to be a short hunt, but since there's only a couple weekends before squirrel hunting begins and we have to start wearing blaze orange, I decided to give it my best. Last week I decided to hunt this weekend with the Ruger Single Six 17HMR revolver since I haven't bagged a chuck with it yet. It's all I carried today. The backpack contained the typical: binoculars, more bug spray, ammo, drinks, cameras and a few other things. Considering the heat, I tried to keep the load as light as possible. Most of the morning I didn't wear the hat because that keeps in a lot of heat. Gloves, long sleeve shirt and face netting are necessities in a bug infested area like this. The revolver was carried in my Triple-K holster, my gear was on and I started out.

The path I normally walk is a mile long, and I was somewhat surprised that having walked almost half its length I had yet to see a thing... until I rounded the next corner. This is an area where the path is very twisty, so if something is spotted in this area, it's likely in handgun range. The problem is that with a chuck's keen sense of hearing, they are usually gone before I come around the corner and get a visual on it. That didn't happen this morning.

I slowly and quietly rounded the corner and about 25 yards out, a good size chuck had just broken through the brush onto the path. I could tell it was aware of my presence, but I startled it and it didn't have time to react. It was standing perpendicular to the path, so I had an excellent clear shot. I quietly drew my handgun from the holster and pulled back the hammer as I attempted to get the chuck in my sights. I could tell I was a little shaky, and I was determined not to blow this shot like I did with the rifle last week. I told myself "FREEZE!!" and my breath and movement froze. I put my sights on its head and gently squeezed the trigger. "CRACK!!".. I'm glad I had my earplugs in because these 17 magnum revolvers are deafening.

"Yes!" The chuck rolled over but was still kicking. Before taking another step I took a second shot to put it away. The shot had hit it in the neck. I took the Single Six to the range a few weeks ago and was able to sight the gun in better than any time in the past. That was proven with today's shot. Within seconds, the chuck was covered with all kinds of bugs, including flies, bees, mosquitoes and whatever. It amazes me how they seem to be able to smell death. Death for something else equals life for them. I took some photo for the blog but this time left the chuck on the path. I'll be out again in two days, and I want to see if it's snatched away by a coyote.

I continued on to the end of the path and made a return trip. It was too hot to go on so I packed up and left. I had bagged my trophy and was happy. The perfect beginning of my 24th wedding anniversary celebration. Next I get myself cleaned up and take my wife out to a movie and dinner. Enjoy the weekend.

"VERY nice!!!! Sounds like the single six did the job!!!! He looked aweful furry for a mid summer chuck. Maybe that is just the way they are in your area. Ours seem to have little fur on them. Congrats on a great hunt and great shot!!!"

Mike Adams, Up North Journal



No comments: