A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jake bagged his first squirrels!

 "Mikey went out for the Youth Waterfowl Hunt and I took Jake out for a squirrel hunt. Mikey took three ducks and Jake took two squirrels! Great morning for the boys and me!" ~Mike Adams

Congratulations to Jake Adams, son of Mike Adams from Up North Journal for bagging his first two squirrels today. Great job Jake! Like father like son. The Adams are from Linden, MI. It's interesting to see the variation in tail color between Jake's squirrels and the gray and white squirrels we have in CT. Jake was hunting with a 22 magnum, which surprisingly is illegal in CT. Mike suggested making 'squirrel dumplings' but Jake said he was going to check my site to make squirrel stew. I'm checking with Mike for the dumpling recipe, and if he sends it I'll post it. Here's an out-take from Mike Adam's blog: "...He drew down on it and popped off a shot, immediately the squirrel scurried behind the tree and started chattering at him. I told Jake to get ready and wait, he might come back out again. The problem was that Jake was free handing the shot. I told him to rest up against the nearby tree to steady his shot. The squirrel came down the tree and hit the ground eventually popping up on a little stick looking at us. Jake took careful aim and BANG! Down he went! Jake looked at me with a big grin and said, "I got him dad, I got him!" I noticed that the squirrel began to move and I was afraid he would run off so I put another round in him. Jake went over to pick him up and he began to move again, so Jake pulled up and touched the trigger one more time..." MORE on 'The Up North Journal Hunting Blog'



No comments: