A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Impressions of the NAA (North American Arms) PUG

My wife and I were rummaging though some very old abandoned buildings when we came across an old dilapidated ladder leading down to a cluttered dirt basement. My wife stayed where she was but I couldn't resist investigating. Descending the ladder, I took a quick look around, and seeing nothing in the dark but some old boards and spider webs, I decided to get out.

Making my way up the ladder I spotted something black that was about the size of my hand. It moved quickly into a hole. A closer look revealed the biggest and ugliest black spider I had ever seen or imagined. A chill went up my spine and I headed up the ladder much faster than I had descended it. As my leg passed the hole, I had an eerie feeling that the spider crawled out and made it into the leg of my pants!

At the top, being almost in a state a panic I ran as fast as I could towards a nearby lake. Diving in, I attempted to rip off my pants. Suddenly the huge black spider appeared, floating with its legs moving in all directions, resembling the fingers of a hand along the top of the water. Reaching into my pants, I quickly pulled out my 22 mag PUG and fired off a shoot, putting a hole in it and pushing it below the water. When it resurfaced I continued shooting until I was sure it was dead.


Well, it isn't a story for 'Field and Stream', but rather a vivid dream I had last night and one of the few I didn't forget. It's a good thing I carry a Pug min-revolver with me, even in my arachnophobic dreams. I must have been thinking about the NAA PUG that was buying later today.
The PUG is very similar to the Mini-Master, though the barrel length is only 1" long and it has an awesome Tritium front sight that glows green in the dark. Though the gun isn't much bigger than a cigarette lighter in your hand, it has a much stockier feel than the tiny 22 I shot some weeks ago. It looks and feels like it was cut from a block of stainless steel. The cylinder system is the same as the Mini-Master's, with the only noticeable difference being that the cylinder is fluted to reduce the tiny revolver's weight. The pebble-textured rubber grips are stocky for the gun's small size, and they appear to be substantial enough to keep the magnum under control.
As soon as I got the gun home, I took it to my workbench and gave it a thorough cleaning, then snapped some photos for you to see. It loads exactly like the Mini-Master, except that the spring-loaded rod that hold the cylinder is removed by pulling down on the handle and pulling the rod straight out, parallel to the barrel. The Mini-Master's rod follows the same path, but then must be pulled away perpendicular to the barrel. This gun is so small that you can drop it in your pants pocket in the morning and forget that it's there until you need it. I don't have a holster and I'm not sure I'll need one, but it's something I'll be looking into. I'll be looking forward to testing this tiny cannon at the range on Saturday, and I'll let you know how I make out. Check back for more... and bring on the spiders!

IT'S AMAZING THAT NEXT TO THE PUG, THE MIN-MASTER LOOKS BIG!

No comments: