A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, November 9, 2009

A beautiful morning but only one in the bag

This appeared to be another perfect morning for squirrel hunting. I was in the woods at 6:30 before the sun came up and reached a good spot just as the rays of warm morning light began cutting through the branches. Once again nothing was moving, but eventually a branch dropped and shaked; the kind of motion that only a squirrel makes. I was surprised that with so much motion in the tree, I still hadn't made visual contact. A few minutes had passed when it showed itself, running across the top of the trees. I had my scope on maximum magnification and followed it from tree to tree until it finally slowed down. I squeezed off a round and the squirrel stopped. It looked like an immediate kill, but it still hadn't fallen. I was preparing to take a second shot which would knock it off the branch, but it let go and hit the ground without my assistance.

During the hours that followed the trees were filled with flocks of robins but I didn't see a single squirrel. It was a disappointing morning, but coming home with one beats leaving empty handed.

No comments: