A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, January 18, 2010

Fun with the Mini-Master: Shooting Aguila Super Colibri (primer only)

I had an idea on the way home from work today. I bet it would be fun shooting Aguila Super Colibri (primer only) 22LR cartridges through the Mini-Master! I figured that the barrel is so short that there's likely less chance of a bullet getting stuck in the barrel than when shooting it through a rifle.

Super Colibri are 20 grain bullets that shoot with primer only. The box says, 'No Gunpowder'. They basically turn your revolver into a powerful pellet rifle. I set a sheet of particleboard about 25 yards away and shot the gun. The bullet penetrated around 1/8", which seems to be plenty to kill a pesky squirrel that might be eating your garden if hit in a vital spot. The group was good as well, though I didn't shoot enough to really make a test. The revolver still makes quite a bit of noise, so you should test it yourself first so your neighbors don't call the cops. This seems like a great round to target practice with in your basement. I checked with CT police and it is legal to shoot a gun in your basement. When I was a kid we always had a box full of newspapers in the basement that my brother and I shot our 22's into. I still have a similar setup at home, and I usually shoot shorts, though I've never had a problem when shooting LR. These Aguila rounds are even lighter, thus safer to shoot. I'll be looking forward to seeing a squirrel eating my garden this year. Give it a try and have fun.

No comments: