A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Letter from Kevin. Roraback Coyote Hunting

Hey Bob--
I operate a charter fishing boat and have been busy as hell striper fishing clients all week. Yeah I'm familiar with the coyotes on Roraback, I shot 2 this year on and around the border on the North Road side but they wised up on me. I used to call them and hunt but it is very hard in CT, now I hunt them much more successfully over bait. I shot 2 of the 6 different dogs I saw there this year and also got made a couple times, thereby ending my success. I guess they have to eat too, ya know? I personally think the human hunting has had an effect on the squirrel population more-so than natural predation. I have seen a lot of guys there squirrel hunting with shotguns more than .22's so you know they are blasting away. Couple that with the other predators and weak acorn years and there you have it, squirrel population decimation. By the way, awesome site, I love it...very cool. I checked out the whole thing and its very impressive. I attached a couple pics of the coyotes I bagged this year on the Roraback border and if you ever want to check out my new website, its www.outkastsportfishing.com. See you out there!!.........Kevin For a followup I asked Kevin what he bagged them with and he responded:

".270 private land directly bordering Roraback. They came from the state land...always do."

On state land in CT we are limited to 22LR, but Kevin's fine using a .270 on private land. I once hunted a private farm bordering Roraback with my SKS. I still think the DEP should allow hunters to used 22 Magnums on state land. ~Bob

UPDATE: Arne Thompson added this. Thanks Arne:

"On private land you can use anything for varmints, but deer must be at least 6mm.........I've used my 30/30 for coyotes on private....state land is limited to 22LR for any small game.........shotgun you can use anything small than #2 nothing bigger than #2 shot......no double oo buck...."



No comments: