A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shooting at the range with Dirk and Lucy

(Dirk Files & Lucy Leta Bessette )
Dirk invited me to shoot at his range today, so I brought my Henry .44 Magnum while just about everyone else was shooting an AR. I did notice that one guy at the very end of the range had a Sharps. Very cool! I'd like to get my hands on one of those some day. I believe Lucy and Dirk both shot .223's and Dirk also had his .22LR AR. Lucy was shooting at 100 yards and claimed to have shot her best target ever with iron sights. Excellent, considering I'm lucky to be able to see that far. I usually set up at 50. With cowboy-type sights the front sight totally covers a paper plate at 50 yards. If I were to shoot at 100, I'd need to sight-in the rifle so the very top of the front sight lands at the bottom or in the center of the bullseye. Maybe some day I'll make that switch, but not today. Today's shoot was just to plink and have fun, not to test ammo and loads. Instead, I filled up a .223 military ammo can to the top with .44 Magnum and went to town. My plan was to free up a bunch of brass so I can start precision loading .44 magnum, and very precisely check the loads so the next time my daughter joins me at the range, she doesn't get any surprises.
 Lucy's 100 yd target w/ iron sights

 Me and my Henry .44 Magnum




Thanks again Dirk for the use of the range and the good company. Have a great weekend, but don't forget that there's a lot of guys who won't be able to spent today or any day at a picnic. They have families that will be alone. It's a good time to say, "Thank you", to cut their grass or to do them some act of kindness.



No comments: