A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Henry Lever Action Octagon Frontier Model 50 and 100 yard test

From the bench. First row of targets is at 50 yards. The one in back is at 100.

Today I tested out my Henry .22 setup for the current woodchuck and September squirrel hunting season. I recently mounted a Cabela's 'Caliber Specific' scope (3-9 x 40) on the Henry Lever Action Octagon Frontier Model .22 and shot it at both 50 and 100 yards. This sight is fairly inexpensive, going for around $99 and when on sale, as low as $49. I paid $69. The scope has a bullet-drop reticle that I wanted to test. The upper cross-hair is used for 50 yards, the one below for 75 and the lower for 100.

The ammo I tested was Aguila SuperExtra high velocity 38g hollow points and Federal high velocity 36g hollow points. Why did I chose these two brands to test? Simply because it's what I had on hand. Aguila is my favorite round, and the Federals were picked up in a 525 round value pack at Walmart for around $17. My plan was to just fire off a lot of rounds at two distances to see what kind of group I get, and to test how well the bullet-drop recticle was calibrated.


First let me say that I was very pleased with the scope. I first sighted it in at 50 yards, then brought the target out to 100 and aimed at the lower cross hair. It really works. As you can see, the group was quite accurately raised so the bullets were encircling the bulls eye. I will actually feel confident taking a crack at a chuck at 100 yards and little guesswork will be involved in the shot.

 Aguila SuperExtra at 50 yards

Federal Hollow Points at 50 yards

Aguila (left) vs Federal (right) at 100 yds

Which brand worked best? It's obvious that the Aguila shot best at 50 yards, but when shooting out to 100, it seemed to even out a bit. The Aguila still gave me better group than the Federal, but not by much. Since most of my squirrel shots are taken at 50 yards, I'll be sticking with the Aguila. My next test will be with CCI.

Dirk Files shooting his AR .223 Thanks for the use of your club's range.

Lucy Leta Bessette shooting a 22LR target rifle

Dead-eye. Nice shooting Lucy!



No comments: