A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Henry .44 Magnum Skinner Peep Sight Test

Today was my first opportunity to test the new Skinner peep sight. I was shooting at the state range today, which allows me to put a target stand out at any distance. Last night I discovered that the battery was dead in my LaserLyte green laser, so I wasn't able to check to see if I was on paper. I kept my fingers crossed that the gunsmith checked the sights after he installed them. To be safe, I set the target out to about 40 feet. I have an ammo box full of .44 magnum reloads, and since this isn't a critical test, I just grabbed a handful of cartridges with my better jacketed bullet, loaded the Henry and took aim at the upper left target.


I lightly squeezed off a round and started looking around for a hole. Nothing on the plate I was aiming at, but there was one on the plate below. I was hoping that this was a fluke, and I took another shot. The bullet hit the same spot. I filled the tube twice and fired them off. All shots landed in the same area.

The sights worked great as far as being able to get a quick and clear sight picture. It was like the rear sight wasn't even there, and the brass front sight was bright and clear. I put the front sight in the center of the top plate and looked at the location on the sight where the bullets were hitting. It was about 1/4 the way up the sight from the barrel, which means that 3/4 of the sight would have to be cut off for the sight to work correctly. I have no idea how I'm supposed to get elevation from the rear sight. The front two screws are bigger and appear to be what fixes the sight into position. There's also screws on the sliding rear section, but they must only adjust windage. The distance from the dot on the top plate to the dot on the plate below is about 10", which means that the shot needs to rise about 8".

This afternoon I emailed Skinner and sent them this photo in search of a solution. I'm guessing they will need to cut the front sight down. I also asked for directions on how to properly adjust the sight, so I can pass that information onto you. Once I get this adjustment taken care of, this is going to be one fun rifle to shoot. The sights are fast and unlike the Marble sights, they are far forward and out of the way. There also doesn't appear to be much that can get out of adjustment. The Marble sight is classically cool looking, but it's fragile and the post was prone to loosening up and going out of adjustment. This sight appears to be very solid. Now if I can only get it to point right. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response from Skinner.

...and here's that letter from Skinner I promise you:  

Hello Bob,

I did see your Email via my phone, then must have lost it when I opened up Email on my comp. Perhaps the photo sent it to my spam filter?

Anyway, what you are experiencing is normal. Installing a taller front sight will lower your point of impact. That is the reason for the taller front sight since the rear sight is going to raise impact with the factory front sight. Also, the Skinner Patridge blade is designed to be "trimmed" down to the exact height needed without changing blade thickness. Use a sharp file and cut it down till your impact is where you want it to be at the range you want to be zeroed at. About .005" makes a 1" point of impact change at 100 yards. .010" for 1" at 50 yards, and .020" for 1" at 25 yards.

I'd set the skinner aperture up one turn from bottom then make those adjustments to the front sight. That will give you plenty of adjustment later if you change loads or other variables.

There is no way to predict front sight height without shooting on paper. Every shooter/load/rifle combination is different. There is quite a bit of information on our front sight and technical pages at www.skinnersights.com.

Thanks for the Email Bob, hope that helps. ANDY

Hello Bob, I just read your posts and saw the photos of the Henry's with Skinner Sights. Great photos. The brass base/black dovetail sight I sent you is the first one in that color combination. It looks GREAT on your rifle. Needing taller front sights is just normal. How much taller is always a "shoot N see" proposition. Its not difficult to trim one down. Once you get it all regulated it will be a real joy to shoot.

Thanks for trying them out. Please let me know if I can be of more help. Thanks Bob, ANDY



No comments: