A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Friday, April 10, 2015

'Mighty Mouse' LaserLyte Red Laser for NAA .22 Magnum


It's been about a year since I first installed the Mighty Mouse Laser on my NAA .22 Magnum. Over the course of a year I've installed the laser, shot with it, taken it off, then reinstalled it... repeatedly. Every time I uninstalled the laser I thought "maybe if I do this I'll get better results". Yesterday was one of those days.


As you can see, the laser is very easy to install. Remove 2 screws and the stock rosewood grips come off. The LaserLyte installs with a single screw. Snap the two halves on the stainless steel frame, tighten the screw and you're ready to rock.


The Laser makes the grip a bit longer which makes the tiny revolver a bit easier to handle. I'm sure you're asking, "if the grip looks cool and makes the gun easier to grip, why did you keep removing it?". Two reasons. I find that the activation button is just too small for my hands. As you can see, I have normal size hands and my fingers are slim. I should be able to activate the laser, but I can't. The laser grip makes the gun a little more difficult to conceal, so unless the laser works, I'd prefer to carry with the smaller stock grip.


I shot the revolver at the range this afternoon and once again attempted to solve the grip problem. I found that at 25 feet the iron sights are dead on. Knowing that, I was able to visually dial in the laser until it co-witnessed with the iron sights. When I was able to activate the laser and fire a shot at the same time, I had such a lose grip that the muzzle repeatedly flipped up, sending the bullet who knows where? The think the solution would be to extend the button about 1/4". It now protrudes only about 1/8" from the grip, and it needs to be extended 1/8 - 1/4". 

I send an messaged LaserLyte on facebook today reporting my findings, so I hope they send a positive response. The button can't simply be removed and replaced since it is a wired switch. What they can do is redesign it so extensions can be snapped onto the activation button, fitting the button to the individual hand. The cost would be minimal and I'm sure the results would be well worth the slight expense. This laser isn't cheap, so they should be able to absorb the cost. To date I haven't read any negative reports, but I'm guessing that's because LaserLyte likely supplied the product free of charge, expecting to get a positive review. I don't believe many gear reviews are honest.

No comments: