A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Thanksgiving Hunt w/ Ruger 10-22



Rifle: Ruger 10/22

This will be a quick entry because I have to get to my brother's house for Thanksgiving dinner. Just when I was about to hang up squirrel hunting in this area, it turned into one fantastic morning!

I didn't get out until 8:30. It was very foggy and warm with the temp rising into the 6o's! I can't remember a Thanksgiving this warm. At 9am the fog quickly began to lift and everything seemed to come alive. During this hour I saw at least 10 squirrels. I had just put my Banner scope on the 10/22 and I was kicking myself because I had 3 squirrels dead nuts in my cross-hairs and missed. I had laser bore sighted it, but didn't have a chance to sight it in on the range.

I don't like to shoot in the woods unless it's at game, but I had to do something. I put a plastic soda bottle that was laying on the ground in the branches of a tree and took a few shots. I adjusted the scope a few clicks and I seemed close enough to continue on. I was amazed that the laser had me within about 2-3" at 50 yards, but that's enough to miss a squirrel. Within a couple of minutes I saw another, lost sight of it, then quickly spotted another one. I waited it out and shot it off a high, thin branch. That's the one in the photo and it's now in my freezer. Just when I was about to hang up squirrel hunting in this area...! Minutes later I saw another, got a bead on it and shot it out of the tree. It hit the ground and didn't move, then all of a sudden it began to crawl. I didn't want to shoot it again and destroy the meat, but that turned out to be a mistake. Squirrels are tough, and this one began crawling faster, and made it into some very dense brush. I chased after it, pushing through the briers, but I was getting torn up and finally decided to give it up. Boy was I pissed! I should have shot it again on the ground. I'll be back tomorrow. The temp will be dropping into the teens so I don't know if I'll have another day like today. It was like a last her-ah before the cold weather settles in. What a fun morning! Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: