A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Nailed One with Iron Sights

It's the first day of my Christmas vacation (I'm taking all next week off!), so I thought I'd spend a couple of hours in the woods this morning before finishing my Christmas shopping. A couple weeks ago I removed the scope and laser bore sighted the Henry 17HMR in at the range. I enjoy shooting the Henry much more without the scope. It's lighter and perfectly balanced, and target acquisition is very fast. Today it was right around the freezing mark with a half foot of snow on the ground covered with a sheet of ice. The kind of snow that you crash though with every step. It was very tiring to talk through so I limited my hunt to a couple of hours. This area has been dead the last 4 hunts, but I know there are squirrels around, nesting inside the trees. Today I was lucky to spot one watching me from a hole in the trunk. I was about a 40 yard shot, in a standing position without anything to brace myself against. This had to be a quick shot. I got a bead on its head and fired. I nailed it, but instead of going deeper into the tree, it rolled out and grabbed onto the trunk. I took a second shot and dropped it. There's a sense of real accomplishment when you hit a squirrel with iron sights. I find it amazing how steady I can hold the Henry because it's so beautifully balanced.What a great way to start the holiday weekend...at least for me. Have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: