A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Shot a Coyote this Morning

Woke up, cooked bacon and eggs with black coffee to get my cholesterol and caffeine levels up to normal. Took a shower and hit the road.

5:30 am Arrived at my destination, hosed myself with bug spray, put on my face netting, hat and ProEars. Grabbed my Henry .17HMR lever action rifle, threw on my backpack and headed into the woods. Reached my setup point, set up my tiny chair and shooting stick, then walked out into the clearing about 25 yards with my Predator Bomb. I misted the ground with Coyote, Fawn and Fox spray for about 8 seconds each, then headed back to my position. I started calling with my reed call.

All of a sudden I noticed that it was really starting to rain. I couldn’t believe it, but the sky didn’t look bad so I thought it was just a passing shower. Then I said to myself, “Wait a minute” and took off my ProEars. It was silent. What I was hearing were the drops of water from last night’s rain falling from the leaves. Then I took off the ears, it was as if I were deaf! They were so comfortable that I forgot they were on, and I could hear every snap of a twig. It was as if my hearing was amplified 10 times. I could hear everything, and when I took them off, it was as if I could hear nothing. Fantastic. No coyote was going to sneak up behind me with these ears on.

6:30 am I’m sitting with my rifle on my lap and out of nowhere, a dark gray coyote silently appears in the exact spot that I had misted. It had its nose buried in the grass and had no idea I was there. With tree branches to my left, I couldn’t see it until it was right in front of me, and walking through the grass it was absolutely silent; even with the ProEars. I found that amazing. I received no howl in response to my calls; it was just there. My 17HMR was at half-cock in my lap, and very slowly I pulled the hammer back. Click! The coyote quickly lifted its head with its ears straight up and looked right at me. It was only 25 yards in front of me and the shot was totally clear. The scent confusion that I had read about had this guy so absorbed that he ignored me and went back to smelling the grass. I slowly raised my rifle onto the shooting slick and into my shoulder, put it in the crosshairs, and once again the coyote lifted its head and looked right at me. This time it knew something was up and darted to the right. I squeezed off a round and its rear quarters spun around, but it kept moving like a rocket. I got off 2 more shots; one was a possible hit and the third was just an excuse to shoot. I waited another hour (this time with my rifle positioned on the shooting stick), but nothing else appeared. I could hear a coyote calling faintly in the distance in reply to my calls, but I would have never hear it without the ProEars on. I think these guys had my number and were not about to come around again.

"The scent confusion that I had read about had this coyote so absorbed that he ignored me and went back to smelling the grass. "

7:30 am
Packed up and started following the trail of the coyote. I was amazed that it left a very clear path through the grass and brush, and I was able to follow it quite a ways until I came into a maze of paths that could have been created by deer that morning. So that was it, and I headed back to the Jeep.

"Everything felt right and worked well even though I screwed up and let my guard down. If my rifle was ready I would have had an easy head shot and that coyote would be history."

This was a great morning. Everything felt right and worked well even though I screwed up and let my guard down. If my rifle was ready I would have had an easy head shot and that coyote would be history. The ProEars just amazed me, and opened up a new world of sound and awareness. The Predator Bomb worked as advertised and I discovered a new way to draw them out. My new mouth call and tiny iPod Shuffle calls even worked. The coyote looked right at me and didn’t see me, so my camo was hiding me well. And as expected, the Henry shot great. A larger caliber would have taken it down, but state law doesn’t allow it. You really need to hit a vital organ with these small calibers to get a kill when hunting such a hearty predator. If Arne was with me and we both got a bullet into it we would have brought that coyote down. Arne's wife made him go to a wedding and he hates them as much as I do. When he reads this he'll hate them even more.




No comments: