A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Cooking: Easy Squirrel Stew


Here's my simple recipe for squirrel stew. I brown the squirrel with garlic in a frying pan with oil and place the pieces in a crock pot with sliced potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Pour canned chicken stock into the pot until everything is submerged. Turn the crock pot on high until the broth comes to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 hours. The squirrel should be tender enough to fall off the bone. You can sift in some flour if you prefer your broth more like a gravy. Enjoy!

COOKING TIP
I always put squirrel in zip lock bags, dating each bag and freezing. They usually sit there for months before cooking, and maybe because of this my squirrel never tastes gamey. On rare occasions when I cook squirrel soon after harvesting them, I soak the meat in salt water overnight to draw out any gamey taste.

NOTE
Some claim that if the organs are not damaged, the squirrel should be hung up until regor mortis leaves and the squirrel become 'floppy' again (I've personally never seen this happen and I don't know how long it takes). If the squirrel is gutted before or during regor mortis, the meat will be tough. I've never tried this because the though of letting meat just hang there in the heat doesn't sit right with me. I personally gutt the squirrel as soon as possible after it's bagged because once it stiffens up, it's very difficult to remove the pelt. 

No comments: