A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Brass Stacker's Harnessed Rifle Sling

If you've been following this blog you know that I've started to squirrel hunt using my Henry .22 Carbine lever action rifle. Though the rifle is short, it is heavy due to the massive octagon barrel. That heavy barrel keeps the rifle shooting accurately after repeated firing, though that accuracy does come with a price. The solution is to sling the rifle so you can give your hand a break when walking with the rifle for an extended period. I take pictures when I hunt, so I have an added reason to free up my hands in the field.


Henry's don't come with sling loops pre-installed, and it ran me about $75 last time to have the stock drilled by my local gunsmith. Doing so also puts a hole in the wood, which depreciated the value of the rifle. My solution was to locate a 'harnessed' rifle sling.


I began looking around last weekend and came across this beautiful model made by a company called 'Brass Stacker'. These slings are hand-made and each is custom designed for your specific rifle model, similar to the way a good handgun holster is made. There is a choice of leather and hardware color to suite your particular taste. 


The order arrived by USPS within 4 days. I opened the package, quickly read over the instructions and it only took about 10 minutes to install. The sling comes with a metal magazine tube clamp that attaches in minutes. Loosen a screw, slip the clamp over the tube and tighten the Allen screw with the supplied wrench. On the other end of the sling is a leather harness which installs in seconds. Simply slip the harness over your butt-stock and close two snaps. That's it!

The sling and all hardware are handmade out of thick, top quality leather and as you can see from my photos, it looks beautiful on the rifle. The length is perfect for carrying in the field and it's easily adjustable. There's also just enough length so you can wrap the sling around your forearm to steady your rifle when shooting without a rest.

I noticed a line of copy in the instructions that says in bold type, "DO NOT carry a loaded / chambered rifle with this sling!". I don't know about you, but when I hunt my rifle is always loaded with a round in the chamber, safety on or at half-cock. I'm always a bit cautious when carrying a rifle with a new sling, checking the hardware from time to time to be sure everything is secure. I know I'll do the same with this one. It's not a bad idea to double-check that all the screws and snaps are tight every time you clean your rifle. Check back soon for photos from the field of my loaded rifle. I'm a rebel that way.

Here's where you can get more information:
www.BrassStacker.com
tgrproducts@brassstacker.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tks for the heads up. I've been look'n for one for some time so I don't need to drill. Sweet.

Anonymous said...

Is there any metal from the snaps on the harness around the butt-stalk that can scratch the wood. Thanks for your reply....

Bob Rich said...

Thanks for following the blog. I just checked and everything on the inside is covered so nothing can scratch the stock.

Bob Rich said...

I was happy to find BrassStacker myself! The Henry sling is beautiful, but it required that I drill my stock, which I had my gunsmith do on a different Henry and it wasn't cheap. It also is good protection for the brass recoil pad when I hunt and put the rifle down.