A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

It just didn't feel right, With the .22 Carbine and CCI Quiet 22


Today was a beautiful day, in the mid 70's without a cloud in the sky, but by 3:30 things began to change. Clouds were moving in and the wind was blowing. By the time I was half way to the WMA the street turned wet. A cell obviously let loose in this area, but within a couple of minutes the street was dry again. That's good for two reasons. The squirrels don't like 'weather' and I didn't feel like sitting on wet rocks.




The air was still when I entered the woods but from time to time small gusts of wind began to blow. I had that gut feeling that this wasn't good. Unlike a couple days ago I wasn't hearing sounds coming from the trees. I lit up a bug repellent stick and took a seat on a rock. After about 15 minutes, at a distance two squirrels emerged from the trees. They were too far out to take a shot so I quietly stood up and moved behind a tree. I would catch a glimpse of them from time to time, then lose sight of them again. Finally I spotted one about 40 yards out and another 25 yards to my left. That closer one stopped on the side of the trunk. Bracing myself against the tree, I put its head in my crosshairs and squeezed off a round of Quiet 22. It dropped. Soon the second squirrel began to chatter. The bark got louder and it began moving deeper into the woods.

Unlike last time I immediately went after the downed squirrel. It had a bullet in and out of its brain; an instant kill. The other squirrel kept moving and barking, finally disappearing in the distance. I sat down again and waited. It didn't feel right. Nothing was going to move in this. The leaves were rustling. I could hear noise from the street and there was almost no animal sound from the woods. My feelings proved correct and nothing else moved. I decide to take one last push to see if anything else was moving down the path. Everything remained quiet so I turned around and left the woods at 5pm. At least I'm getting some action here! Not bad for a quick stop after work. Until the next hunt...

Rifle: Henry .22 Carbine
Ammo: CCI Quiet 22

No comments: