A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Monday, October 17, 2016

A Vacation Day Shotgun Hunt - 10/17/16


It was a nice morning at the Meadows this morning. I pushed through brush from 7 - 11 and it really started getting hot so I quit. Within 10 minutes of getting there I walked up on a buck. It just stood there about 40 yards away. I froze and we just stared at each other until I started walking toward it. Spotted 5 squirrels, two within shotgun range and I bagged them. Spotted a hen pheasant on the path during my last hour there. It didn't see me, so I took a step left to hang close to the path's edge. It was on a corner so the hen couldn't see me. It walked into the high brush so I charged it with shotgun shouldered and safety off. It flushed straight ahead and quickly cut right. I must have shot behind it and since I'm shooting a bolt action, I didn't get off my second shot until it was out of range. I was so pissed! A fun morning though.



My old Mossberg 20 gauge. When my neighbor passed away, his wife came over and asked me if I'd like his "BB gun". She couldn't find the magazine so I found one online which holds 2 rounds, and I was good to go. It's the first shotgun I've owned since the Browning Sweet 16 I bought at the Navy Exchange when I was in stationed on Adak Island in the Aleutians. So far I've bagged a half dozen pheasants with it. I don't like to hunt squirrels with a shotgun, but if that's what I'm carrying it's what I'll use. I hate fishing shot out of the meat.


No comments: