A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Douglas G. Rich October 26, 1946 - November 8, 2016

A photo of my brother Doug when he was a kid and a member of PAL (Police Athletic League).

My brother (7 years older than I) passed away last week at the age of 70. He fought a 3 year battle with cancer, the result of Agent Orange exposure during his tour of duty in Vietnam.

Doug was the guy who taught me how to hunt and shoot. A natural athlete, he excelled at every sport he took interest in, including archery, baseball and hunting. Doug gave me his hand-me-down .22 and 16 gauge pump shotgun and we began hunting pheasant, squirrels and woodchucks together when I was 12. In those days we could go almost anywhere in this now congested state and plink with our .22s. I have fond memories of Doug and I sitting at the top of a hill at the clay pits, which are deep ravines dug out of clay-dirt and filled with water. We'd sit at the top of the ridge, throw a soda can into the pond and open fire. I still can see that yellow box of Winchester SuperX .22 hollow points sitting in front of me while we squeezed off round after round. Water splashed and the can leaped out of the water as our rimfire bullets ripped through it. Those fond memories have stayed with me a lifetime and shaped who I am today.

Doug and I at the cancer survivor's banquet 3 years ago. I also had a battle with cancer, and have been cancer free for 27 years.

My brother's battle with cancer ended last week. Being Christians I know I will see him again, but until then, I'll carry the memories of the great times we had together, trying to hit the can or spot that squirrel. Rest in peace brother. If you have family and friends to hunt and shoot with, make those memories now. You'll never know how those seemingly insignificant hours together can shape another person's life.

No comments: