A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Sunday, January 1, 2017

12/31/16 New Year's Eve Hunt with the Henry .22 Carbine


I started out the morning right by making myself a steak & eggs w/ home-fries breakfast. Ya, I know. I'm supposed to be eating squirrel but I didn't have any leftovers available. I also used my squirrel salt and pepper shakers for good luck. Notice there are two...
Rifle: Henry .22 Carbine. 

I only spotted two squirrels this morning. Both revealed themselves at a distance in very different locations, and they both busted me the same way before I had an opportunity to close in for the shot. I sat each one out for around 20 minutes, they showed their faces again and I dropped them. This time I hunted with CCI Mini Mags, and unlike with the CCI Quiet 22, they did not manage to crawl away. Each required a second shot to the body to blow them out of the tree.

After a couple of hours it clouded over and the wind began blowing from the meadow. The wind will usually cause squirrels to stop moving so I called it a day. If the weather is decent Monday, I'll be wearing my son's Christmas present, a GoPro. Over the years I've made videos with a $50 camera, cheap cell phone and later a dedicated video camera, which explains the poor quality of most of videos. I'm really looking forward to using a camera that attaches to the rifle and can be left running!

Happy New Year friends. Stay safe, don't drink and drive and enjoy the evening. ~Bob

The morning started out perfect with a clear sky, warm breaking sun and still air.

I'll call this one Salt...

...and this one Pepper

No comments: