A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Friday, March 4, 2016

Rat Shot, Snake Shot, What's it good for? Uhg! Sounds like a song.

Here's a demo that my buddy Jay and I did shooting .22 Magnum shot shells through an NAA Sheriff and a full size handgun, the Ruger SingleSix. Check out the results...



I started a conversation in an NAA facebook group and it was getting a little hot with some people supporting the use of a shot-shell for defensive use and some dead against it. I for one have to admit that I don't like the idea of having to defend myself with a .22, no matter what ammo is being used, but there may be an exception. I will often throw an NAA .22 mag in my pocket when I run out the door or jump into my car. At least I'll have something on me should my car break down.

Now here's the use for those shot shells that I had referred to. You're in your car and someone yanks open the door. How do you quickly grab the gun, cock the revolver and place a .22 mag hollow point? It won't be easy. But at point blank range you might be able to raise up the gun and point the muzzle toword the face or neck and pull the trigger. Chances are you will blow the person back or blind them. Quickly cock the revolver and you now have a second shot that can be used if necessary. That cartridge will contain a hollow point bullet. Hopefully you can put the peddle to the metal and get away. Now think about if you used a bullet. You could miss. Graze someone. It could just piss someone off even more. I think that (1) shot-shell (2) hollow-point might work. But if I got out of the car, I'd dump that shot shell and immediately replace it with a standard bullet so you can avoid a point blank confrontation. I'd be interested in reading your comments.







No comments: