(To find the app tailored to your specific state, type in your state name in place of Connecticut)
I just went to the Connecticut DEEP online Hunting Guide and I spotted a link to a phone app called 'CT State Parks & Forests Guide'. You can download it for free at the app store (click link above). I haven't used it in the field yet, but I am excited that there's a GPS feature that looks amazing. It has a GoogleEarth-like map that shows your location, lets you mark your trail and waypoints, has a compass, you can take and post photos, gives emergency alerts and a lot more. You can even cache maps so it doesn't use much data in the field. Put a red circle over the area on the map where you're going and expand the circle to cover whatever area you want cached maps of. You then select the download location (like your SD card) and the map will download. That way you're not using data in the field and it your connection cuts out you still have a map. It's free so no matter what, it's worth the download. Below is a list of features from the app website. Enjoy!
FeaturesPark goers can access rich GPS features, such as:
- Advanced GPS Maps, which allow users to access trail data, record tracks from hikes, runs, or bike rides, and view elapsed time and distance traveled.
- Easy-to-cache GPS Terrain Map tiles, which ensure that navigation remains possible in the event of lost mobile reception.
- Photo waypoint feature allowing users to snap a photo and mark and record the coordinates of plant life, animal species or landscape views. Post or share these remarkable finds with family and friends with the click of a button.
- Friend Finder feature that allows users to keep track of friends and family around the parks.
- Built-in compass to help direct users through the parks.
- Potentially life-saving Alert feature that supplies users’ GPS coordinates to designated contacts in case of an emergency.
- Thorough information on all State Parks including general policy, contact information, activities, trails, park maps and much more.
- Detailed, cacheable maps of park facilities, trails and campgrounds.
- Up-to-date news and information on park advisories and weather information.
- Sharing features that allow users to share current positions, waypoints and recorded tracks via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- A Calendar of Events, updated in real time, listing all State Park events with the ability to filter by desired park. Users can also create their own schedule that can include any event from any park.
- Access to online reservations that make it easy to secure overnight visits.
- Plus so much more!