A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Saturday, May 27, 2017

First Shots, Henry H018-410


I couldn't wait to get into the woods this morning with the brand new Henry 410. There's nothing I can hunt other than woodchucks this time of year in CT, but it was a good excuse to get into the woods with the shotgun. My clothes were covered in dried Permethrin and I sprayed the rest of myself with 40 DEET. Netting over the head, amplified muffs, as well as leather fingerless gloves and I was good to go. In my pocket I had a box of 410 shells. Weighing in at only .79 lbs more than a Golden Boy, the 410 sure felt heavy this morning. I guess that's because a Golden Boy is heavy compared to my 15-22, and adding almost a pound makes it all that much heavier. The 15-22 weighs in at 4 lb 14.9 oz and the 410, at 7.54 lb. That means that I'm carrying an extra 2 lb 9.1 oz when hunting with the 410. That's the difference between steel and polymer.

It doesn't help that I'm badly out of shape, having thrown my back out in February followed by spine surgery, 4 months out of work on Workman's Comp and 7 weeks physical therapy. I haven't been able to use my arms much for fear of injuring my back again, so my arm weakness really showed itself today. Maybe the gun isn't nearly as heavy as it felt to me today. I definitely need to start working my arms out, and tonight I buy a sling.

Since I couldn't hunt squirrels there was no reason to get out as early as usual. I was in the woods at about 9am, walked the paths where chucks tend to hang out and visited some choice squirrel spots. Nothing was moving, other than an occasional song bird. I ended up taking a few shots into an old plastic barrel that washed onto shore. The gun feels more like shooting a rifle than a shotgun. The pattern was tight with basically no recoil. I could feel the recoil pad compressing against my shoulder, but other than that there was no recoil discomfort at all. This is a great gun for recoil sensitive shooters. One thing I noticed is that I don't think the hammer will be nearly as big a deal as I thought it would be. When I'm walking with the muzzle pointed skyward and I lower the barrel to get on target, if I hold my thumb on the hammer, the gun basically pulls away from the hand so the shotgun cocks itself without much effort.


On the return trip down the path I spotted a man who wasn't hunting, obviously there to let his dog run. When I reached him we greeted each other and he asked me about the shots he heard. I told him I was out there to try out a new shotgun and was there to exercise my back. He told me he recently recovered from back surgery, and that his recovery took 4 years. We discussed neurosurgeons, doctors, physical therapy, the return to work and recovery time. I discovered he was 70 and a Vietnam vet, so we discussed the VA Hospitals and my brother who died of Agent Orange at that same age.

By the time we reached the car we both had just about exchanged our life stories. I meet the nicest people when carrying a gun. The bad thing was that on the return tip we had passed 4 groups of people who were birding or just walking, scaring away any chucks that might have been hanging out. That means that the next time I go out I'll need to be there closer to sunrise.


As we went our own ways the guy must have found a tick because he told me to check myself over. I told him I was covered with  Permethrin and DEET. He laughed and we both drove away.

The Henry 410 looks to be very promising for the September hunting season this year. What I need now is to locate some 4 shot shells. I think they will have more reach and knockdown power than the 9 shot I hunted with today, which will help punch through the heavy September foliage. Until the next hunt...

5 comments:

Christopher Bankston said...

I was just talking to a friend and wondering how fast the Henry 410 Will be able to get on target and fired compared to a pump action.
That,s awesome you got to get out and shoot your Henry so soon.

Bob Rich said...

Thanks for the comment Christoper. In the evolution of the shotgun, there was the double-barrel, then the lever brought an increase in speed. Next I believe it was Browning who invented the pump, which was faster than the lever, then he invented the semi-auto which was even faster. The pump stays in alignment so when you get on target, your pump action stays parallel with the barrel so you're able to stay on target. The lever requires more of a perpendicular action which will move the barrel out of position to some extent. Lever guns are fun, are part of history and look cool. But if I was going for speed, I'd go with a pump any day. Most police and home defense shotguns are pumps. Lever guns really aren't in the running. I still love a lever. They have soul.

Steve said...

If you don't mind mail-order, Outdoor Limited has a nice selection of .410 shotgun loads. https://www.outdoorlimited.com/410-BORE-SHOTGUN-SHELLS-Ammunition-for-Sale-s/1925.htm

Bob Rich said...

Thanks Steve. I'll check it out, though buying mail order from CT can be a pain. CT requires that we jump through hoops to buy ammo online (see below).

For all valid ammunition and magazine purchases one of the following is required:
- A valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver
- A valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver
- A valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver
- A valid long gun eligibility certificate
- A valid ammunition certificate and a legal photo ID that shows date of birth and photograph.

No ammunition feeding devices over 10 rounds.
**Note, metal machine gun links are considered "feeding devices" so we cannot ship links of any quantity as they could easily be made into capacities over the limit.

No .50 caliber Armor Piercing or Incendiary ammo.

Check the laws in your own state:
http://ammunitionstore.com/can-i-buy-ammo-online/

Bob Rich said...

I'm die'n. Really want to get out with the gun tomorrow but it's going to pour all day :(