A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Friday, May 19, 2017

Shooting with Dan 'Red Bear' Bosques

Dan first time shooting a Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum 

Yesterday I was going through some old range photos and I came across these pictures I took of my friend Dan 'Red Bear' Bosques. Dan is a native American who is into performing in reenactments. We shot side by side that day at the range and spent quite a bit of time talking. Dan also crafts beautiful leather items like ammo bags in the native American style.

That day I was shooting my Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum and he shot his flintlock. We were both admiring each others firearms, so of course I had to shoot his and he mine. What most impressed me about the flintlock was the time delay between the trigger pull and the rifle discharge. That must take some getting used to.



Dan, if you read this shoot me an email or post in comments below. I hope all is well!

I just found the original story from Jan. 6, 2001...

I had a vacation day remaining from 2010, so I decided to take Wednesday off to shoot at the range. I arrived at Blue Trail Range at around 9am and over the next 5 hrs put over 330 rounds of center-fire ammo down range. During that time I had the pleasure of meeting a shooter named Daniel "Red Bear" Bosques, a Native American who was shooting a beautiful flintlock called "Patrick Henry". I invited Dan to shot my Henry .44 magnum and .357 magnum rifles, and he in turn let me shoot his flintlock. The delay from the time the trigger is pulled until the gun fires as truly a new experience. I was about ready to put the rifle down when it finally went off (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit). It's things like this that make a day at the range a truly memorable experience.

Dan is involved in period reenactments, and that's one reason he needed an authentic rifle, which doesn't come cheap. He also told me that he has an exhibit of hand-crafted leather items at the Institute for American Indian Studies, in Washington, CT (birdstone.org), which has made headlines in 2 papers so far; one of them being the Litchfield County Times. Be sure to check out the IAIS web site.

Over the weekend I'll be posting stories and videos from yesterday's shoot on my 2010 range page (I know it's 2011), and on my various .44 Magnum and .357 Magnum pages. Check them out for videos of us shooting the flintlock, and to see the results of my ammo tests. Daniel "Red Bear" Bosques Designs

1. (Above Left) This is of a heavy buffalo skin shirt, with a bear's upper half (up to the brow) as the shirt's cape. The bears brow folds back and down to act as a collar, and flips up for warmth. The fringe is made of brain-tanned deer. Plains Indian Warshirt style/influence. $1300.00

2. This pic is of a new knife sheath I just finished. It is made from brain-tanned skin, and is decorated with porcupine quillwork, beads, deer hair, and human hair.

 3. This is of a bag I recently finished that is at the IAIS. I made it in honor of my cousin who passed 3 yrs ago. Its made of brain-tanned buffalo, lined with his shirt, made with pieces of his belt, and moccasins. The knife sheath I just finished is its counterpart, and the bag is also quilled.

 4. The first possibles bag (yellow with cross) is made from bear skin. I kept a natural-edged them throughout the bag, including the inside pocket and cross overlay. Not visible in this picture are the strap I recently beaded, a vent-hole pick, and a 60 grain powder measure. $450.00

 5. The second bag I named "Harvest Hunter". This hunting bag has a moon overlay ON the moon inlay, and a dark moon overlay on the inside pocket. This bag is made from buffalo skin, also has the powder measure and pick, and has a whisk for cleaning out a flintlock's priming pan. $450.00



1 comment:

Bob Rich said...

I've been trying to locate Dan, and in the process I found this cool website. They sell reenactment clothing and equipment for the American Revolution, The Civil war, etc. Fun stuff.

http://www.crazycrow.com/historic-reenactment-supplies