A blog by Bob Rich. Squirrel Hunting, Henry Rifles, Reloading, Range Shooting and More!

WARNING. THIS BLOG PAGE CONTAINS PHOTOS OF LEGALLY HARVESTED SMALL GAME. IF THIS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE LEAVE AND VISIT disney.com

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The New Henry 410 Shotgun

I've been reading and watching many good reviews of the Henry 410 shotgun over the past few weeks. Most of them basically mirror the Henry Repeating Arms spec page and after taking a few shots, report how the gun feels and patterns. I've already posted some basic specs with a link to Henry's site where you can read this information first hand. The BRShooting Journal has always been 'hands on' reporting, so I'll be reporting on the shotgun from the field during squirrel and pheasant season. I want to know how far I can be from a squirrel and still knock it out of a tree. I'm curious to know if a .410 has enough punch to take down a flying pheasant and what shot is necessary for both. I'm even hoping to harvest a woodchuck with it over the summer.
Squirrel hunting in Connecticut doesn't start until September 1st, so until then I'll post photos from the woods while chuck hunting, as well as from the range where I'll run boxes of slugs through it. I need to find out if this rifle will work better for home protection than my .38 Special. I'd like others to shoot it over the coming months so I can get their impressions as well. How reliable is it? How smooth is the action, and do I prefer a lever to a classic pump or my old Mossberg bolt action? How easy is it to acquire a target with only a front bead? Am I willing to risk my life and the life of my family on its' reliability? These will be the things I'll be researching at over the coming months as I enjoy shooting the new shotgun that looks like a rifle.

I've been hunting squirrels with a .22 and pheasant with a 12, 16 and 20 gauge shotgun for the past 50 years. It's hard to teach a dog new tricks, but if I can find one gun that will drop a squirrel without destroying it, and is also capable of taking down a pheasant, I'll be sold. At least between the months of September thru November when pheasant are stocked and dense leaves are on the trees. Once December comes around, the pheasant are harvested and the trees are bare. Then most squirrel sightings are much further out, between 40 and 75 yards. For that I need an accurate Henry rimfire with a parallax corrected scope. If the game cooperate this year by showing up, this is going to be one heck of a fun hunting season. Keep checking back for my continuing reports from the field. And keep us all up on what you're up to this summer by posting in the comment boxes. I'm always looking forward to hearing from you. Until next time ~Bob

11 comments:

Steve U said...

I have the new Henry Lever Action .410 Shotgun 24" barrel. So far I have only been shooting clays from a fixed position automatic trap in order to get comfortable with the shotgun. Last week I hit 15 out of 15 using the factory full choke. Friendly suggestion, pattern the shotgun first. Mine is placing a good percentage of shot to the lower left of center aim. I have other chokes I will be trying out. I have been using Winchester AA 2-1/2" 1/2 oz #8 shot and Remington 2-1/2" 1/2 oz #8 shot.

Bob Rich said...

Thanks very much for that info Steve. I believe the gun comes with a full choke. How good does that choke work? That's the one that's shooting low left? Are chokes standardized so various brands fit if the gauge is the same? My shotgun has an adjustable choke so I've never had to buy one. Thanks!

Christopher Bankston said...

Hi bob can I ask you a few questions about the new 2017 410 henry shotgun with the removable choke?

I own 3 henry and my newest is the H018-410 , I am very excited to own this gun but I know nothing about chokes. I read the Henry manual for this gun and I know I can shoot game shot, bird shot, maybe buck shot? And defiantly not... No slugs are to be shot out of this gun with the factory choke.. Could I suggest to me some different chokes that will fit this gun. I plan on using this gun for rabbits squirrels woodcock, and ducks. I own some family land in the swamps of Lyons Point Louisiana and I plan on doing my hunting there this year, I read some of your blog and I'm kind of interested in seeing exactly what this gun is capable of doing.

Christopher Bankston said...

Hi bob can I ask you a few questions about the new 2017 410 henry shotgun with the removable choke?

I own 3 henry and my newest is the H018-410 , I am very excited to own this gun but I know nothing about chokes :( I read the Henry manual for this gun and I know I can shoot game shot, bird shot, maybe buck shot? And defiantly not... No slugs are to be shot out of this gun with the factory choke.. Could you suggest to me some different chokes that will fit this gun. I plan on using this gun for rabbits squirrels, woodcock, and ducks. I have land in the swamps of Lyons Point Louisiana and I plan on doing my hunting there this year. I read some of your blog and I'm kind of interested in seeing exactly what this gun is capable of doing.

Bob Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Rich said...

I'm currently looking into choke tubes. I sent an email to Henry to get their recommendations. I also found this place that might be worth looking into.

https://windwalkeroutdoors.com/brands/Comp%252dN%252dChoke.html?page=1&sort=featured

Bob Rich said...

Thank you for contacting us and your interest. That model is threaded for Invector chokes which are readily available in the marketplace. We will start selling them at some point.


Sincerely,

Allison Sniegos

Henry Pride Customer Service

(844) 451-1899

Steve U said...

A followup to my first comment: When I was patterning my 410 I was shooting from 25 yards. Also, don't read anything into my slightly lower left patterns with the factory choke. I am taking a good look at MY sight picture and 'pointing'. I wear progressive glasses and have astigmatism considerations.

Bob Rich said...

Thanks Steve. I seemed to be shooting a bit lower left as well. I can't target shoot on state land and no public range will allow shotguns because it destroys their target frames. If I can get to a private range I should be able to test it. I'll need to get another choke first so I can shoot slugs. That should give a clearer picture and I'll be able to shoot slugs on most ranges. I doubt it was your eyes Steve. Let me know if you have any other observations. Thanks!

Bob Rich said...

Now I'm on a hunt for choke tubes. So far, what I'm finding isn't cheap. About $75 each. I'll let you know when I find a good supplier. If you find one, please post here as well. Thanks.

Bob Rich said...

Hi Christopher. When I shotgun hunt I use a 20 gauge (prior to getting the 410), and my shotgun has an adjustable choke. I don't swap out chokes, but instead rotate the choke at the muzzle and the choke changes to whatever I want it to be. No matter what I hunt, I use a full choke because it's a light gauge and I want as many shot to land on target as possible. I think that's all the more important with a 2.5" 410. I want those shot patterns to be as tight as possible. That's my method anyway.